Sonam Kapoor Ahuja (born on 9th June 1985) is an Indian film actress and model. She made her Bollywood debut with the film Saawariya in 2005 which was directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. She is the daughter of famous actor Anil Kapoor. From 2012 – 2016 she appeared in Forbes India’s Celebrity 100 list based on her popularity and income.
She was won a Special Mention National Film Award and Best Actress ( Critics) Film fare Award for Neerja.
Sonam Kapoor Age, Biography, Wiki
|Name||Sonam Kapoor Ahuja|
|Nickname||Sana, Sonz and Sonu|
|Debut||Saawariya in 2007 (Bollywood Film)|
|Date of Birth||9th June 1985 ( 34 years old as of 2020)|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Arya Vidya Mandir, Juhu, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|College/University||University of Mumbai, Maharashtra, India and University of East London, England, United Kingdom|
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor’s degree in Economics and Political Science|
|Height||175cm or 1.75m or 5’9”|
|Weight||55kg or 121lbs.|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Tattoo||“Faith” on her wrist and “Sonam” in Chinese on hip|
|Father||Anil Kapoor ( actor)|
|Brother||Harshvardhan Kapoor ( Younger, Actor)|
|Sister||Rhea Kapoor (Younger, producer)|
|Paternal Uncles||Sanjay Kapoor and Boney Kapoor|
|Paternal Aunts||Maheep Sandhu and Sridevi|
|Cousin brothers||Arjuna Kapoor, Jahaan Kapoor and Mohit Marwah|
|Cousin sisters||Jhanvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor, Anshula Kapoor and Shanaya Kapoor|
|Car Collection||Audi Q7 and BMW 7 Series|
|Salary||Rs. 5 Crore/film|
|Net Worth||Rs. 872 Crores ( $13 Million USD)|
|Hobbies||Reading, writing, playing video games, shopping and collecting paintings|
Early life and Background
Sonam Kapoor was born in Bombay suburb of Chembur. Her father is a famous actor and producer Anil Kapoor. Her mother Sunita is a former model and designer. She has two younger siblings – a brother named Harshvardhan, who is an actor and a film producer sister named Rhea.
Her paternal grandfather is late filmmaker Surinder Kapoor and the founder of Anil Kapoor Films Company. Her uncles are the film producer Boney Kapoor and actor Sanjay Kapoor. Her aunts are Mona Shourie ( Boney Kapoor’s first wife) and Sridevi ( his second wife). Her cousins are Arjun Kapoor, Mohit Marwah, Jhanvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor, Anshula Kapoor, Shanaya Kapoor, Jahaan Kapoor and Ranveer Singh.
She lived in the suburbs of Juhu for one-year-old. She did her schooling from Arya Vidya Mandir School in Juhu, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. She was a carefree child and would often bully boys at her school. She was also good at playing rugby and basketball.
Kapoor is trained in Kathak, Latin dance and classical music. She went to the United World College of South East Asia in Singapore to study theatre and arts. She later started courses in economics and political science through the University of Mumbai in Correspondence after coming back from the University of East London where she initially started her courses.
Rani Mukherji was a family to their family. In her earlier days, she never gave thought towards becoming actress due to overweight and instead wanted to become a crew member of films.
Like any other celebrity of Sonam hasn’t failed to get the attention of lovers all around her. She dated Entrepreneur and Model Sahir Berry during her days as a model. However, their relationship ended once they both chose different paths in their lives ahead.
After some time she dated Director Punit Malhotra, their relationship lasted quite long but didn’t go well in the end and they called quits. In 2018, there was a rumour about her dating a friend who is an entrepreneur Anand Ahuja.
The rumour soon was revealed to be true by the actor. They were often spotted hanging out together on several occasions. They finally tied their knot on 8th May 2018. Their wedding was a glamorous event attended by most of the big stars of Bollywood in Rockdale, Bandra, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Their wedding was a complete Sikh style wedding and continued for two whole days that involved Sangeet, mehndi and a grand reception.
|Food||Pav Bhaji, Pork belly bun, dahi batata and chocolates|
|Actor||Anil Kapoor, Shahrukh Khan, Akshay Kumar, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale|
|Actress||Nutan, Waheeda Rehman, Meena Kumari, Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukherji, Madhuri Dixit, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Monica Bellucci and Audrey Hepburn|
|Films||Devdas, Mr. India, Guide, Titanic, Children of Heaven and City of God|
|Director||Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Satyajit Ray, Steven Spielberg and Raj Kapoor|
|Author||Jane Austen, Enid Blyton and Nancy Drew|
|Books||Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, Emma by Jane Austen and Frankenstein by Mary Shelly|
|Sport||Basketball and Squash|
|Designer||Anamika Khanna and Manish Malhotra|
|Perfume||Michael by Michael Kors and Jean Paul Gaultier Classique|
|Restaurant||Hakkasan and Bengal Sweet House|
|Travel Destination||Rome, Paris, New York and London|
Sonam Kapoor began her career in 2004 as an assistant director of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s film Black ( 2005). Later on Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s motivation, she lost her weight to make her acting debut in 2007 with Saawariya opposite of Ranbir Kapoor. It was a box office failure. She gained her first box office success with the film I Hate Love Stories in 2010 opposite Imran Khan. It was followed by a series of flops.
2013 marked her turning point in a career with the Box office hit film Ranjhaana along with Dhanush. She had her biggest commercial successes with supporting roles in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag in 2013 and Sanju in 2018. Her film in a lead role Prem Ratan Dhan Payo in 2015 was also among her hits.
Her portrayal of Neerja Bhanot in 2016 won her the National Film Award and a Filmfare Award. Her female lead film Veere Di Wedding ranks among the highest-grossing female-led Hindi films.
Other than that she is also a philanthropist. She supports the awareness of breast cancer and LGBT rights. She is frequently credited as one of India’s most fashionable celebrities. She appeared in the song Dheere Dheere Se in 2017 along with Hrithik Roshan whose profits were donated to charity. She also speaks for widows, orphans and animals (through PETA).
As an assistant director
- Saawariya in 2007 as Sakina
- Delhi 6 in 2009 as Bittu Sharma
- I Hate Love Stories in 2010 as Simran
- Aisha is 2010 as Aisha Kapoor
- Thankyou in 2011 as Sanjana Malhotra
- Mausam in 2011 as Aayat Rasool
- Players in 2012 as Naina Braganza
- Bombay Talkies in 2013 as Herself
- Ranjhanaa in 2013 as Zoya Haider
- Bhaag Milkha Bhaag in 2013 as Biro
- Bewakoofiyaan in 2014 as Mayera Sehgal
- Khoobsurat in 2014 as Dr Mrinalini Chakravarty
- Dolly ki Doli in 2015 as Dolly
- Prem Ratan Dhan Payo in 2015 as Rajkumari Maithili Devi
- Neerja in 2016 as Neerja Bhanot
- Pad man in 2018 as Pari Walia
- Veere di Wedding in 2018 as Avni Sharma
- Sanju in 2018 as Ruby
- Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga in 2019 as Sweety Chaudhary
- The Zoya Factor in 2019 as Zoya Singh Solanki
Music Video Appearance
- Dheere Dheere in 2017
- Hymn for the Weekend in 2016
- Stardust Award for Superstar of Tomorrow (Saawariya)
- Stardust Award for Best Actress in a Comedy or Romance (Raanjhanaa)
- BIG Star Entertainment Award for Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic role ( Prem Ratan Dhan Payo)
- Indian Film Festival of Melbourne for Best Actress ( Dolly Ki Doli)
- Asia Vision Award for Icon of the Year and Best Actress ( Dolly Ki Doli)
- Stardust Award for Editor’s Choice Best Actress of the Year ( Dolly Ki Doli)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress ( Critics) ( Neerja)
- National Film Award for Special Mention (Neerja)
Lesser known Facts
- While studying in Singapore, she worked as a waitress to garner pocket money.
- She is trained in Kathak, Latin dance and classical music.
- Since childhood, she has been suffering from diabetes and takes insulin.
- At 16, Sonam wrote a poem called Ambition which she decided to give to her soulmate.
- She worked as an assistant director before becoming an actress.
- Sonam was overweight before Saawariya and weighed 90kg.
- During the filming of Aisha, she had a feud with co-star Abhay Deol and decided never to work with each other again.
- She had tongue piercing which she removed during her debut film’s shoot.
- Sonam is a philanthropist and has worked for orphans, breast cancer awareness, widows and PETA.